As part of our holiday in Cape Town we ventured to Hermanus in hopes of spotting some of the majestic Southern Right Whales on their migration route. The peak season for whale watching in Hermanus is between September and November and we were lucky enough to see a mommy with her little calf as well as a few other whales breaching as we were enjoying lunch. It was absolutely amazing to see these gigantic animals so close to the shore and to experience their playful nature.
So before this story gets cold (like my food almost did while I was enchanted by the whales breaching), I would love to share one of my favourite finds- Burgundy Restaurant in Marine Drive, Hermanus.
We arrived just in time for lunch on a Saturday and found the perfect spot where we could sip some delicious Sauvignon Blanc from Wijnskool (at only R35 per glass!). We love the terrace area where we could watch the whales frolic while enjoying our lunch but the interior dining area is also gorgeously decorated and features a beautiful grand piano. The host and staff are amazing, and it speaks of well trained staff if they know exactly how to be helpful without becoming overbearing.
The menu features seafood, salads and sandwiches together with some mouthwatering desserts and an impressive list of wines. An added touch is the wine tasting that awaits you at the door where you can have a taste of the wine of the day and order a glass or bottle as you walk in. This is especially great when you are in the mood to try something new, but the menu descriptions don’t really cut it for you and I wish more restaurants would follow suit, simply because I am indecisive and very bad at picking something based on a description in the menu.
Here’s a quick summary of Burgundy Restaurant
- Location: Marine Drive, Hermanus, Western Cape
- Menu: Seafood, salads, soups, desserts, quick bites, coffees and wine
- What to drink: Drink wine! Try the “tasting” if you are looking for something new.
- Caters for: seafood lovers, holiday goers and sweet-toothed diners. Some vegetarian options available
- Price range: R80- R100 per person (or less). We paid R450 for two main courses, two glasses of wine, two desserts and two coffees. Seriously budget friendly especially because their seafood is out of this world and priced so well.
- Go if: you are in the mood for a lazy lunch, sipping wine and looking at the ocean. Lunch time is pretty popular so go early and hang around.
- Don’t go if: you are not a fan of seafood and wine. But with all the options, everyone should find something they like.
I completely fell in love with Hermanus, and with this restaurant. One of my top favourite must-visit spots! Take some friends and family out and enjoy this friendly restaurant, I know you wil
l love it as much as I did!
And don’t forget to show the world some love!